Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hawaii Day 4: The Windward Side (East)

After Pearl Harbor we headed over the the Windward side.  First stop was the Halona Blowhole and overlook.  We snapped some great pics, but it was a bit windy as you can see...
 



Then we went to Keneke's BBQ.  The food on this part of the island is rather slim pickin's.  Our pork sandwiches weren't great, but I did get some pineapple ice cream (since we weren't able to get any at the Dole Plantation).  This place has a little covered patio where you eat which is covered in scriptural graffiti. Note to any travelers: there is no place to wash your hands after eating a messy sandwich.  We went next door to the 7-11 to get drinks--which apparently the place to get the best SPAM musubi on the island (according to a sign on their door).  I didn't get a pic, but I will show you this nice pic of SPAM flavored macadamia nuts instead.  Those Hawaiians love their spam.




Afterwards we headed to Kailua beach park where we relaxed awhile, then we tried to find Lanikai beach which is supposedly amazing but hidden behind houses.  All I could find is a few little alley ways that went to the ocean--but the houses on either side made it so that there was only like 5 feet of sand that we could access.  I think we didn't really find this true beach.  Does anyone have an insider scoop on this?  Then we attempted to go to the Byodo-In temple, but it was closed for the day. So we headed back to the hotel via this cool road H3 that was on the show Modern Marvels.  The road looks almost suspended in the air as it hugs the steep green mountains, then it plunges into a misty hole and comes out the other side.  The pictures don't do it justice.

Once we got back to Waikiki we had quite the time figuring out where to eat--one places closed, one too busy, one too expensive etc.  We ended up at the Wailana Coffee house which was right near our hotel.  It's a diner where the locals go.  I almost ordered "saimin" because it's mentioned in a short story that I read with my classes, but I didn't.  (I think it's like ramen.)  My food was a bust, but Clint's teri steak was good--and it was a fun local thing to do.





1 comment:

  1. You didn't mention my "Hawaiian Fried Ice Cream". Essentially a ball of ice cream wrapped in a pie crust and then "cooked" via deep frying. It was topped with chocolate and whipped cream. I'm still craving another one. Maybe I can figure out how to make one myself.

    ReplyDelete