Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day 5: Turtle Beach etc.

After the Byodo-In temple we headed to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck which we heard was a must do.  The shrimp was good, I suppose.  Just tasted like shrimp to me.  I guess you have to be a seafood connoisseur to appreciate it.  Who knows.


I became intrigued by the coconut drinks being sold.


However, I quickly discovered that coconut water is actually really gross. Don't waste your money.


Then we tried to find the turtle beach which we didn't find right away, but we did find this peaceful practically deserted beach that we had a nice time walking along.




And later we did manage to find the turtle beach.  I was surprised at how many turtles there were!  There must of been 80-100 turtles (including the ones floating in the water that were harder to see.)  At least 20 were on the actual beach--but they were rather difficult to photograph because they kept slipping back into the water--and keeping their heads down.  I think they all congregate at this beach because it's actually not a sandy beach but sort of a solid rock that is covered with algae.  You can see that this guy is having a nice algae snack.


After Turtle Beach we attempted to go to Mokuleia Beach which is supposedly where some of lost was filmed.  We weren't sure that we found it.  And we realized the bad news--I left my glasses on the pre-turtle beach.  So that put a kibosh on our plans to hit the Dole Plantation again.  We drove back to look for them--to no avail.  After our fruitless efforts, I was bummed so we didn't hit the nice dinner at Turtle Bay Resort.  We ended up going to Formaggio's--which was closed the day before--and I'm glad we did because it was delicious.  We had a mean steak panini and pizza on the cheap becausec it was happy hour.  Afterwards we went to Wailana Coffee House for dessert, and Clint got a Hawaiian fried ice cream that he still raves about.  Basically it was ice cream in a pie crust ball.  Fortunately, the delicious dinner assuaged my feelings about the drama of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Your turtle pictures are amazing! I don't think I ever made it to turtle beach. It looks incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete