Monday, July 25, 2011

DC Trip

So after Karen's wedding Clint and I explored DC for a few days. I was excited to show him my favorite city! I also have to confess that he thought the national mall was a shopping mall. It made me excited because I felt all cosmopolitan--like I was showing him the world! We got a late start on the first day due to chatting with Karen's mom (who graciously allowed us to stay in her house during the wedding!) and due to the Memorial Day parade in downtown Rockville. We eventually made it in though, and first thing headed to the Capitol Building.



Then we had to hit my old favorite, the botanical gardens.





Our next stop was the Air and Space museum. Clint enjoyed seeing all the crazy engines etc. After that we headed to the National Gallery, though at that point we were so beat that we had to take a rest in the air conditioning!



After we were rejuvenated enough to continue walking, we walked off the mall and bit and stopped at the first restaurant we saw--some slightly ghetto trolley restaurant. After a cheese steak for me and a burger for Clint we headed to the American History museum--but the line was out the door. We thought we'd skip it and migrated on to the Washington Monument. We were so exhausted at this point that we laid on the grass in bar of shade created by the monument. Remember that we'd left Utah's very cold and rainy weather and jumped into around 100 degrees and humid DC weather. We weren't quite equipped for it.






After we gathered what little reserves of strength we had, we headed to the Kennedy Center for a free show at the Millennial Stage. I really enjoyed the performers, The Revivalists. You can actually see the show here. They were a fun band from New Orleans--they felt a tad like OAR or DMB. We ended up leaving a tad early though because we were both so exhausted!





After that we hopped on the metro and headed to our hotel in Rockville. It wasn't bad if I do say so myself! We even had a little towel creature like we were on a cruise.



That night I decided we should go to the Silver Diner for dinner because most of the nicer places were closing down. I was weirded out by the whole locavore vibe that the Silver Diner is now trying to pull off, as well as the fact that the restaurant didn't seem like I remembered it. As we started a wild goose chase to find ice cream after dinner, I saw the OLD Silver Diner building--and felt a little better realizing that my memory hadn't betrayed me. It was kind of sad though, seeing that dark old building. It brought back a few shimmery memories from my past.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun. It is great that you got to show your hubby around. It is nice to go back to places where you grew up/used to live and see how some things change and some stay the same.

    ReplyDelete