Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DC Day Two

This day we slept in. Clint's feet were covered in blisters from our wanderings the day before, so we took our time. We had brunch at La Madeline, got some change to feed the meters and drove into DC. Our first stop was the white house.





If it was possible, this day was even hotter than the day before. Fortunately, we happened upon a white house visitor center where we were able to get some water and hit the bathrooms. Then we were off to the monuments walk. First, I got friendly with George Mason.



Then, of course, we hit the Thomas Jefferson memorial.






And continued to the Roosevelt memorial and walked past the in process MLK monument. Eventually we made it to the WWII memorial.





We then proceeded to walk the Vietnam memorial path which felt like descending into the inner circle of hell. Walking down into the depression with the black stone emanating heat waves, it was all I could do to make it out the other side. Fortunately, Clint was able to snap a few pictures.





Our last stop was the Lincoln memorial. Some girls were lying down in the shade in the memorial and a security guard told them to get up. I felt their pain.



At this point I was a walking sweat zombie. I barely made it to the car with Clint's encouragement. "We're almost there....you can do it..." Finally we did make it to the blessed air conditioning. Then we drove to Karen's apartment in Arlington. She and Rupert didn't head out to their honeymoon until a week after the wedding, so Clint and I were able to snag some post wedding time. We headed to Arlington Cemetery with Karen in tow.










Afterwards we returned to Karen's apartment to share some wedding leftovers and white chocolate "crack" with Rupert. My hands got so swollen in the heat that my wrist had bruises from my watch, and I couldn't get my wedding ring off! I spent some time at Karen's soaking my hands in ice water and soaping my finger, to no avail. I wasn't able to get the ring off until that night when I showered. It was the conditioner that did the trick. After we left Karen's we headed to our hotel in Baltimore where we snagged a few hours of sleep before Clint left for his early flight, and I left for the Amtrak.

1 comment:

  1. That was crazy when your hand swelled up but I had so much fun visiting with you and Clint!

    ReplyDelete