Saturday, October 19, 2013

Anniversary


For our third anniversary we stayed a night at a resort up in Midway called Zermatt.



It was a fun Swiss-inspired place.  I was entertained by the border in our room (which unfortunately you can't see very well in this picture). . .


and by the cute details such as dancing bears on the lights in the hall ways.


During the afternoon I checked out the pools while Clint finished up writing a paper for a class he was taking.  Then come evening we decided to head to dinner at the Blue Boar Inn (after a long debate about it's possible merits versus the merits of Z's Steak and Chop Haus).  Clint was intrigued by the dry-aged steak at Z's but I was intrigued by hollandaise sauce at Blue Boar.





They started us out with a free little appetizer with some fancy name.  I can't remember the name of the course.  It was a little cheese tart.


Look at the pretty butter balls that came with our bread.



I got the Blue Boar Salad: "Mixed Greens, Tomato, Manchego Cheese, White Balsamic Vinaigrette." It was very fresh and delicious.  Our waitress was very friendly and helpful and told us all about how they use locally grown produce.


This was my entree: Filet Mignon with Crab Cake, Tarragon Hollandaise, and Yukon Gold Rounds.  I have to say, I was slightly disappointed.  I think that I thought I liked crab cake, but I really don't.  Also I didn't really like the tarragon hollandaise sauce either which is sad because I love hollandaise.  Maybe it was the tarragon.  The steak was very juicy and delicious though.


Clint's entree was called Grilled Pork Porterhouse: Berkshire Pork Chop, Sweet Potato Hash, and Dijon Herb Demi. It was good, but the hash was kinda weird.


For dessert we got a cheesecake and a creme brulee.  I think they gave us one dessert for free because it was our anniversary. :)





After dinner we headed over to the sister resort Homestead Resorts where they had a little campfire with cowboy stories and a lovely guitarist/singer.  It was a nice evening thing to do.  The next day we went over and looked at the crater--a geothermal pool in a sort of cavern that you can swim in.  We looked at it, but passed on swimming.  Instead we then climbed all the steps to get on top of it and enjoy the view from above.  Subsequently it was time for some food so we drove into Midway proper and got pizza at Cafe Galleria.  The pizza was good, but a bit intense--we got the "Roasted Mushroom" with San Marzano sauce, roasted mushrooms, fontina, gorgonzola, caramelized onions, rosemary, and pine nuts.  I wouldn't recommend it as a pseudo breakfast.  Anyway, as we were eating a clock chimed across the way and some silly Swiss wooden figures popped out of the building and spun around.  It was quite delightful.  I am currently rather enchanted with Midway--perhaps we'll be back next year. How could anyone not love an adorable Swiss-themed mountain town? Thanks for a great anniversary, Clint. :)


1 comment:

  1. This looks like such a fun place to celebrate! Your pictures are making me hungry :) And I must comment on one more thing: how can you have lived in MD so long and not like crabcakes?!

    ReplyDelete