Monday, January 24, 2011

An Experiment

Well, I'm back. I bet you thought that I wasn't really going to do this blogging thing after all. My absence was initally due to end-of-quarter doom. That bled into a bad cold, and low and behold, it's now almost February. Whoops.

Anyway, it has come to my attention that there are lots of different blog types and styles. There are cooking/recipe blogs, running/eating blogs, craft blogs, style blogs, personal blogs, and naturally a whole lot more. Interestingly, I never knew how many running/eating blogs there were. I found one by doing a google search that coincidentally is about a newly married teacher from Utah who likes to run and eat. Sounds familiar alright. You can find the link in my blog list.

So, the question remains, what type of blog will this be? I started it with the idea that it would be a mishmash of my life: experiences, philosophies etc. However, all blogs with any sort of wider readership all seem to have a theme. The problem is that I can't decide what theme I could do. I don't run obsessively enough to have a running blog. I don't eat healthy enough to have a clean eating blog. I don't cook aesthetically or inventively enough to have a recipe blog. (I get most of my recipes from books or online. Also, I don't really like to cook. I just like to eat good food. I was once called a frustrated restaurant critic. It does combine three great loves: food, writing, and critiquing.) And of course, I don't have enough style to have a style blog.

I suppose this will be my experiment in defining my personal blog style. I've noticed that even blogs about the same topics all have their little definitions. For example, one blog I read has "awkward and awesome Thursday" where the writer lists her awkward and awesome moments and invites readers to share theirs. Another that I read lists questions at the end of every blog post. The blogger answers them and then invites readers to share their answers.

Who knows how this will end up, but in the mean time I intend to have fun playing around. After all, my personal quote and catch phrase is "randomness is the spice of life."

3 comments:

  1. I was hoping to blog all those funny things that happen in my life. Instead, I just post whatever comes to mind. I should re-name my blog to "Random Crap." Anyway, would you mind if I included your blog in my blog list? Then I will know when you update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought a food critic was my dream job (food and writing!) until someone told me they're on seriously restricted diets for the times they're not eating high-calorie restaurant food.

    ReplyDelete