Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Household Hints, Lemons, and Cookies



When I was a kid, I had a strange obsession with reading household hints books.  This likely stemmed from perusing my grandma's library to find things that seemed intriguing to read.  I was reminded of my obsession last Thursday when we had a relief society activity all about the uses of lemons.  Surprisingly, the uses extend far beyond the expected cooking and cleaning functions.  For example, did you know that  Komori et al. did a study that suggested lemon odor has potential anti-depressant properties? Also supposedly Jean Valnet, MD researched antibactieral properties of vaporized lemon essential oil.  However, I can't find any real research to back this up--just claims on essential oil blogs.  Anyway, the church smelled nice and we got to eat a lot of tasty lemon foods.  Here is an easy lemon cookie recipe that I got from the activity:

Easy Chewy Lemon Cookies


Ingredients:

Supreme Lemon Cake Mix
1 tub of cool whip (I used light. At the activity they were made with cool whip free.)
1 egg

Combine ingredients with a spoon first, and then beaters.  (I struggled with the beaters.  The batter is really weird--it has the consistency of taffy, and it crawled up the beater posts in a bizarre way.)  Put some blobs down on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.  When cooled, drizzle with glaze.


Glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
zest and juice of one lemon

I think perhaps my obsession with hints might mean that pinterest would be highly addictive for me.  Hence I have thus far resisted joining.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to suggest Pinterest. It's a tip gold mine!

    ReplyDelete